TrustAfrica is an independent, pan-African foundation formed in 2006 on the conviction that Africans must play a central role in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. We seek to secure the conditions for socio-economic and political justice on the continent. We have leveraged some US$25 million in grants and technical assistance to civil society organizations and brought thousands of stakeholders together to address key challenges. As a partner to global donors, we serve as a continent-based facilitator, providing support to African-led initiatives. We also support the field of African philanthropy, helping to secure its key role in our continent’s transformation.
Purpose of the position:
Facilitate the implementation of TrustAfrica’s communications and engagement activities in line with the foundation’s strategy. The communications officer will increase TrustAfrica’s social media presence and build online and other communication platforms to increase TrustAfrica’s visibility. He/she will develop and implement communication strategies to raise TrustAfrica’s profile with the media and other key audiences and support its effective engagement with change processes on the continent, advancing agency, accountability and advocacy for socio-economic and political justice. He/she will play a leading role in enhancing the TrustAfrica brand across all communications and engagement platforms.
Working under the supervision of the Executive Director and in close collaboration with TrustAfrica leadership, the Communications Manager will:
- Develop and implement TrustAfrica’s communications strategy, setting out aims and activities to reach key audiences and advance its distinct brand;
- Develop key messaging to guide all communications, ensuring they support TrustAfrica’s strategy and define and enhance its brand;
- Manage content production across all channels (our website, social media, print) including editorial, photography and video;
- With the support from the Webmaster and external service providers, ensure that design on all channels and platforms is unique, impactful and enhances our brand;
- Develop and implement communication strategies for our convenings, conferences and knowledge products;
- Develop and ensure the implementation of TrustAfrica’s advocacy strategies and campaigns in consultation with the Executive Director;
- Keep all our partners updated on TrustAfrica’s news and achievements.
- Develop and implement TrustAfrica’s media strategy, develop and maintain relationships with journalists and media outlets (including digital media);
- Ensure daily media monitoring and advise on strategies to respond to media opportunities;
- Proactively develop and pitch media engagement opportunities in consultation with TrustAfrica programs.
- Write media releases and op-eds and distribute (or place) them in key media outlets/channels.
Partnerships and External Engagement
- Develop and manage TrustAfrica's partnerships strategy in alignment with the global strategy;
- Support fundraising activities, including managing TrustAfrica’s individual giving platform and e-newsletter and other engagement strategies;
- Contribute new ideas for fundraising and partnerships that ensures brand recognition at the local and global levels; ensure our brand is identified with our programmes and is prominent on all platforms and marketing materials;
- Maintain a partnerships management database of TrustAfrica supporters.
- Oversee and manage the unit's budget in order to set out clear priorities and timelines, scope of work and planning of resources to satisfy the objectives of the Communications unit;
- Effectively manage resources and ensure cost saving initiatives are implemented.
Work Environment and Staff Development
- Ensure the environment of the Communications unit promotes growth, wellbeing, productivity, cohesive teamwork;
- Instil TrustAfrica's values within the unit team and ensure staff are developed to their best potential;
- Ensure the unit’s integration across TrustAfrica’s with other units and programmes;
- Identify capacity-building needs and support staff to improve communication skills and knowledge.
Efficiency – Take a well ordered and methodical approach to tasks to achieve planned outcomes
Results Focus –Maintain a strong focus on results, driving tasks and projects to completion
Creativity – Come up with new ideas and original solutions to move things forward
Relationship Building – Take steps to build effective relationships and contacts
Planning & Organisation – Set clear priorities, objectives and work allocations, tracking progress against plans and taking appropriate action to ensure targets are met
Post-graduate qualification in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism or a related field
Experience: 5 - 7 years
- Extensive experience in writing, copyediting and proofreading in a public relations, journalism or communications capacity.
- Experience in media relations and a track record in securing media coverage.
- Experience in content management and digital communications including: developing and implementing online strategies and maintaining websites.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and flexibly, as well as cooperatively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to organise work, manage time, determine priorities and meet deadlines.
- Experience in planning and managing campaign activities.
- Commitment to social and economic justice in Africa, and to TrustAfrica’s vision, mission, and values.
- Takes individual and collective leadership responsibility
- Acquires relevant skills and seeks empowerment of self and others
- Strives for excellence, professionalism and high performance
- Acknowledges and embraces diversity
- Recognizes that our region is dynamic and ever changing
- Uses our privileged financial position effectively.
How to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
TrustAfrica is an equal opportunity employer.