Organizers of the Summit
The summit was organized by several key pan-African organizations: TrustAfrica, African Union Commission (AUC), Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), United Nations Africa Institute for Development and Economic Planning (IDEP), Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA), Association of African Universities (AAU) and the African Development Bank (AfDB). Other partners are the Government of Senegal who also served as the host, and the National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa. Summit international partners are the Carnegie Corporation of New York (CCNY), MasterCard Foundation, and the World Bank.
Objectives of the Summit
The main aim of the summit is to create a continental multi-stakeholders’ platform to identify strategies for transforming the African higher education sector. Objectives include to:
1. Build a constituency for transformation and investment in Africa’s higher education;
2. Create a shared vision for the future of African higher education;
3. Harness and highlight best practices and initiatives in African higher education;
4. Harness and build complementarities amongst the various efforts and interventions in African higher education;
5. Spur, share and sustain innovation in African higher education;
6. Create an African higher education movement as part of the continent’s integration efforts; and
7. Ensure coordination of the various initiatives, both by African actors and international development organizations, to reposition the sector.