ABOUT THE KIISI TRUST FUND
The Kiisi Trust Fund is a donor-advised-fund managed by TrustAfrica. The Trust Fund, which had its genesis in the environmental rights struggle of the Ogoni peoples of Rivers state, Nigeria in the 1960s, is a grantmaking fund dedicated to the benefit of the Ogoni people and gives out small grants (less than $10,000) for education, health, community development, skills development, women’s programs, environment, and other benefits for the Ogoni people and their communities. The Trust Fund utilizes a participatory community-based approach to identify, assess potential grantee-partners, fund projects, and monitor and evaluate impact and results. The Trust was created from a $15 million settlement reached with Shell, $5 million of which was used by the Plaintiffs to create the Kiisi Trust to support community development in Ogoniland. The name “kiisi” means “progress” in Ogoni.
OBJECTIVES OF THE OGONI NEXTGEN INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Kiisi Trust Fund seeks to build the next generation of active and responsible civil society practitioners in Ogoniland. In this pursuit, the Ogoni NextGen Internship program will offer 3 - 12 months’ paid internship to young Ogoni’s at the start of their professional careers who are interested in one of the Trust Fund’s focus thematic areas and who desire to have a career in the development sector. This internship programme is aimed at building the interns capacity in the following areas:
- Research and Report Writing
- Training and Facilitation
- Grant management
- Community development
CRITTERIA FOR OGONI NEXTGEN INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME
Kiisi Trust Fund seeks Ogoni youths with creative minds and a hunger to make a positive impact on social development and in improving the lives of Ogonis. This internship is for two (2-4) programmatic interns. The interns should have the following qualities:
- University degree in the Social Sciences
- Strong interest in one of the focus areas of the Trust
- Curious, open mind
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Capacity to take constructive criticism well
- Initiative and drive Ogoni NextGen Internship_TOR 2
- Effective time management skills
GRANTS/MONITORING AND EVALUATION INTERN
- Support with grants documentation, tracking, updating of files and templates.
- Support editing and collation of workplans and monthly reports from grantees.
- Provide field support to grantee-partners.
- Coordinate development of and adherence to proposal development, calendars, and budgets.
- Ensure timely updates on any changes to deliverable due dates from grantee-partners.
- Provide timely information and feedback as needed on activities of grantee-partners.
- Attend and represent Kiisi Trust Fund at meetings with partner organisations/grantee partners.
- Collect relevant information to support training preparation.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of grantee-partners and ongoing projects in Ogoniland.
- Contribute to the design and development of concept notes, proposals and any other relevant documents for grantee-partners.
- Any other duties as assigned. COMMUNICATIONS AND RESEARCH INTERN
- Conduct and support background/desktop research and analysis on any focus area as assigned.
- Assist with the preparation of the Kiisi Trust Fund’s bi-annual newsletters to grantee-partners.
- Attend and represent Kiisi Trust Fund at meetings with partner organisations/granteepartners.
- Assist in the development of materials and toolkits for convenings and trainings.
- Assist in the coordination of convenings and training programmes, including handling of logistics and report writing.
- Contribute to the design and development of concept notes, proposals and any other relevant documents for grantee partners or the Trust Fund.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of grantees and ongoing projects in Ogoniland.
- Support all internal and external communication for Kiisi Trust and TrustAfrica, including assistance in providing content across all branded social media accounts.
- Any other duties as assigned.