In order of preference, characteristics and qualifications are listed below.
- Anchored and rooted in Communities Discriminated by Work and Descent (CDWD): Persons from CDWD and/or from intersectional backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. Bilingual applicants (French & English) will be preferred.
- Experience: Have experience with human rights mechanisms on the regional and global level. Understand global and regional advocacy processes related to the SDGs and other human rights instrument especially in relation to discrimination based on work & descent and contemporary/traditional slavery.
- Commitment: Candidates who have shown ongoing commitment and leadership to the cause of CDWD are encouraged to apply.
- Academic qualifications: Academic qualifications such as University qualifications, publications of books, articles or other journalistic work will be considered in the application process.
Policy & Strategy Development
- Contribute to the development, implementation and adaptation of the regional strategy, fostering regional, national ownership of network/national/regional activities.
- Actively contribute to the development and implementation of the global, regional and at times national advocacy strategies taking proactive steps to ensure realistic and ambitious objectives, emphasising the African CDWD perspectives and dimensions.
Advocacy, Network Mobilization:
- Ensure participation of GFOD members in relevant regional and global fora through nomination and preparation of speakers, written inputs, advocacy discourses/video messages by CDWD activists ensuring gender balance and regional geographic balance.
- Engage and mobilise members of the ANDS/GFOD network to participate in the UN SDG and High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) at regional levels, preparation for Voluntary National Reviews (VNRs), Sustainable Development Fora & other relevant regional and global processes.
- Lead the communication and expansion strategy on the regional and global DWD network.
- Coordinate the creation of/proofread and at times contribute relevant materials to national, regional and global policy briefs, emphasising the African CDWD perspective as per ongoing project requirements.
- Contribute to the creation of a creative environment where mutual learning, exchange and trust on the regional and global level is possible.
- Accommodate Francophone and English-speaking members and their inputs in coordination with the GFOD secretariat.
- Contribute to relevant fundraising proposals.
Values and core competencies required for this role:
- Respect for Diversity
2. Core Competencies:
- Awareness of the concerns of Communities Discriminated on Work and Descent (CDWDs)
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding LGBTQI+ issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
Remuneration: Salary: $20,000 - 25,000 per year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
Successful candidates are invited to join our team with an initial 3-month trial period which will include an in-person meeting in New York City, USA.