Date: August 10–11, 2009
Location: Douala, Cameroon
At this workshop in Cameroon, TrustAfrica convened researchers from three Central African nations to discuss the work they have been undertaking with support from our Investment Climate and Business Environment (ICBE) Research Fund. A total of 14 participants from three countries presented progress reports on their research projects: ten from Cameroon, three from the Republic of the Congo (Brazzaville), and one from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The researchers also debated and then adopted a proposal to establish a network of Central African researchers to promote their professional interests and serve as a reliable partner in investment climate reform for investors, donors, and public-sector decisionmakers. They reasoned that:
- Civil society and decision makers would find it easier to accept, debate, and implement recommendations made collectively rather than by individuals;
- A network of researchers would attract funding for its members more easily than individual pursuit of research funding.
The group nominated a provisional executive committee:
- Coordinator: Sylvain KUATE, University of Yaoundé II. He will be responsible for seeking financing, developing relevant research topics on business environment and investment climate in Africa, and attracting other researchers;
- Webmaster: Maxime KAMDEM KAMDEM. He will be responsible for initiating the creation of a website and sharing information among the researchers in the interim period;
- National Focal Point Persons: They will serve as the network’s ambassadors in their countries and recruit other researchers. Three focal point persons were nominated:
—Republic of the Congo (Brazzaville): Jean Christophe BOUNGOU BAZIKA
—Democratic Republic of the Congo: Jean Papy MANIKA
—South Africa: Emilie KINFACK
The coordinator committed to prepare a working charter, share it among the members and submit it to TrustAfrica. He also offered to host the network, temporarily, at the Catholic University of Central Africa, which already hosts other networks of professionals.
Read the workshop report (PDF) in our Publications database under “Workshops and Convenings.”